Thyroid & Parathyroid
State of the art thyroid and parathyroid surgery facilities
State of the art thyroid and parathyroid surgery with intraoperative parathyroid hormone assay (rPTH), radio nuclear localization, and Gamma probe utilization, intra operative ultrasound with minimal invasive approach and outpatient / Day care surgery using update international standards.
These high standard difficult cases of thyroid & parathyroid diseases are discussed by high caliber “THYROID TEAM” including Endocrine Surgeons, Endocrinologists, Thoracic Surgeons, Nuclear Medicine Physicians, Pathologists, and Nutritionist, who meet on regular basis.
Points of interest to patients:
- High level American and European standards
- Small scar for thyroid and parathyroid surgery
- Patient can go home same day
- Local anesthesia or LMA for parathyroid surgery
- No drains
- Center of goiter, thyroid nodules and thyroid cancer
- Thyrotoxicosis surgical and medical management
- Recurrent thyroid surgery
- Complicated thyroid cancer with lymph node metastasis
- Clear localization of abnormal parathyroid glands by various radiological and nuclear medicine tests
- Intraoperative parathyroid hormone assay (Rapid PTH)
- Intraoperative frozen section evaluation
- Intraoperative ultra sound evaluation
- Different modalities of neck dissection for cancer
- Thoracic surgery input for retrosternal goiter or intrathoracic parathyroid gland
- Weekly multidisciplinary thyroid meeting
- Second opinion in complicated cases
- Radioactive ablation for thyrotoxicosis and thyroid cancer
- Affirma genetic test evaluation for suspicious thyroid nodules
- Genetic testing for familial conditions
- Chemotherapy and radiation for highly malignant types of cancerReferral to radiation therapy
- Second and third opinion in difficult cases
Thyroid and Parathyroid Information booklets:
- Goiter Information Booklet
- Thyroid Nodules Information Booklet
- Thyroid Cancer Information Booklet
- Thyroid Surgery Information Booklet
- Parathyroid Surgery Information Booklet
- Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS)
Meet Our Team
Our team of highly qualified and experienced physicians drawn from across the world
- Dr. Maher A. Abbas is an internationally known colorectal and gastrointestinal surgeon with 28 years of experience in medicine and surgery. To date he has conducted more than 18,000 operations and procedures. He is the recipient of 29 honor awards including America’s Top Surgeons, America’s most compassionate Doctors, Super Doctors of Southern California, and Los Angeles Magazine Top Doctors. He is professor of surgery and he is senior examiner of the American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery.
- Dr. Mahmoud Tabbal is a Board Certified Consultant General Surgeon with more than 19 years of experience in USA, Canada, Saudi Arabia and Jordan. Most recently, he worked as the head of Hepatobiliary Surgery at King Fahad Specialist Hospital in Saudi Arabia. Dr. Tabbal is Jordanian board certified in general surgery and has received his advanced sub speciality training in USA and Canada through the American Society of Transplant Surgeons (ASTS) and the American Hepatopancreatobiliary Association (AHPBA). He is an active member in numerous societies, committees and associations including the American College of Surgeons (ACS) and the International HepatoPancreatoBiliary Association (IHPBA).
- Dr. Falah Al-Khatib is a Specialist Radiation Oncologist with more than 35 years of experience. He graduated from Ain Shams University and obtained his DMRT from the Royal College of Physicians, United Kingdom, along with a Fellowship of the Faculty of Radiologists from the Royal College of Surgeons, Ireland. Additionally, he is able to treat cancer through a wide range of radiation therapy techniques as well as chemotherapy and immunotherapy.
- Dr. Dorai Ramanathan is a highly qualified Oncologist from the United Kingdom with over 13 years’ experience in managing adult cancer patients. His expertises is in Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy for all adult solid tumors. His sites of special interest are Breast, Lung, Gynaecological and Colon cancer. He has experience in prescribing Chemotherapy, targeted treatment and Immunotherapy. He is also a qualified Radiation Oncologist from UK, and is an expert in delivering treatment in techniques such as IMRT (Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy) and IGRT (Image Guided Radiotherapy).
- Dr. Issam Alachkar is an European Board certified ENT Consultant with over 20 years of experience. He is an experienced Head and Neck Surgeon with remarkable clinical practice in diagnosing and treating diseases of the ears, nose, sinuses, larynx, mouth and throat and the structures of the neck and face. He is affliated to various medical associations including Inter-American Association of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, American Academy of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery as well as Syrian Society of ENT and Head and Neck Surgery. He has attended many conferences, courses and symposia both local and international setting.
- Dr. Khaled Kouteich is a French Board-Certified Consultant in Gynecology, Graduated from Paris 5 University in 2002. He moved to U.A.E in 2009 and specializes in Gynecological Oncology. Known as one of the best Gynecological Oncologists in his field, Dr. Kouteich treats his patients through advanced medical care, respect & empathy.
- Dr. Al-Jumaily is an enthusiastic highly skilled Neurosurgeon with a cumulative clinical and research experience of more than 22 years in the UK, France, and UAE. His distinguished career combines academic professorship at Liverpool John Moores University clinical neurosurgery, leadership, and management practice, clinical research, and medical education program. He has published tens of journal articles and has given presentations at renowned International Conferences. Since 2019, he has been nominated as the Chairman of the Development and Academic Committees of the American Board of Regenerative Medicine.
- Dr. Cipe is a Professor of Surgery. He is a European and Turkish Board-certified General Surgeon, with more than 20 years of experience. He started his career in 1999, at Sisli Etfal Research and Education Hospital, Istanbul - Turkey, and worked in several reputed hospitals there.
- Dr. Alkasab started his career and training as a Uro-oncologist at Princess Margaret Cancer Center / University Health Network / University of Toronto, Canada in 2011, gaining a very comprehensive experience in diagnosing and managing (medically and surgically) Prostate Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Bladder Cancer and Testicular Cancer. He has two fellowships in Uro-oncology (clinical and research). Dr. Alkasab is a highly trained Surgeon in Robotic Surgery of the Prostate and PLND, completing his training in Princess Margaret Cancer Center, one of most famous Cancer Centers in the whole world of Cancer Institutions and the North American Society of Uro-oncology.
- Dr. Taghreed Almahmeed is an American board-certified surgeon and member of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. In 2016, after a decade of hands-on practice across the United States, she joined the AZHD team as a Consultant General Surgeon and distinguished member of Al Zahra Cancer Center's multidisciplinary tumor board for breast cancer patients. Dr. Taghreed specializes in breast surgery and oncoplastic breast procedures with minimally invasive techniques.
Blogs, guides, videos and other downloadable resources
Fun Day at the Beach Turns to Nightmare for Tourist who Underwent Multiple Surgeries After Being Stung by Jellyfish in Dubai
Dubai, UAE (xx/xx/xxxx): A 55-year-old woman, C.K., from Switzerland visited Dubai during her vacation where she was stung by a jellyfish, leading to severe limb-threatening symptoms and complications. Due to the sting the patient had an extremely swollen arm with major blocked arteries, affecting its function
The Perks of the Relex Smile Procedure for Vision Problems with Dr. Sandip Mitra, Consultant Ophthalmologist
There are numerous laser eye surgeries out there, making it difficult to decide what the best option is. Laser vision correction is a decision that must be taken with high importance, since it has a large impact on one’s life and future. Being freed of your glasses or contacts is an exciting part of the whole process, however there are other steps and considerations that one should acknowledge