MOVEMBER .. PROSTATE CANCER AWARENESS MONTH
What Causes Prostate Cancer?
The prostate is a walnut-sized gland located below the bladder and in front of the rectum.
It surrounds the urethra and produces a substance that contributes to semen, the fuid
that carries sperm from the testicles.
Who Gets Prostate Cancer?
• The average age of a man diagnosed with prostate cancer is 66.
• The average age of a man who dies from prostate cancer is 80.
• The risk of developing prostate cancer is 74 percent higher in African American men than in non-Hispanic Caucasian men.
Prostate Cancer Symptoms
Warning signs of prostate cancer include:
• Difficulty urinating, frequent urinations, incontinence, burning during urination or blood in the urine
• Erectile disfunction, blood in the semen or painful ejaculation
Prostate Cancer Screening and Diagnosis
Prostate cancer is typically treatable if caught early. Routine screening has improved the diagnosis of prostate cancer in recent years. More than 90 percent of prostate cancers are found when the disease is in an early stage, confined to the prostate and nearby organs.
Treating Prostate Cancer
Because prostate cancer often grows slowly, active surveillance may be an option.
Treatment options for prostate cancer include:
- Radiation therapy
Meet Our Team
Our team of highly qualified and experienced physicians drawn from across the world
- Dr. Ahmed Hassan is a Double Board-Certified Consultant Urologist with 30 years of experience in leading hospitals in Dubai and Germany. He has completed his education with a doctoral degree in medicine, majoring in Urology along with gaining extensive practice in the diagnosis and treatment of genitourinary diseases. Currently, Dr. Hassan works as the Head of Urology Services and Consultant Urologist with Al Zahra Hospital Dubai.
- Dr. Mohammed Istarabadi is a Consultant Urology Surgeon, certified by the American Board of Urology. A native of Iraq, he got his medical school qualifications in Dublin and New York. Dr. Istarabadi returned from Albany, New York where he specialized in Urology to the UAE in 1999. He graduated in Medicine from the Royal College Of Surgeons in Ireland M.B.B.Ch., B.A.O., L.R.C.P. &S.I.(N.U.I.) in 1987 and then he obtained a M.S. in Anatomy from the University College Dublin 1989. Dr. Istarabadi completed his General Surgery and cardiothoracic training in Dublin and became a fellow of the at the Royal College F.R.C.S.I. In 1992. He then moved to the United States of America to train in Urological Surgery in Albany New York and became American Board of Urology certified since1998.
- Dr. Alkasab started his career and training as a Uro-oncologist at Princess Margaret Cancer Center / University Health Network / University of Toronto, Canada in 2011, gaining a very comprehensive experience in diagnosing and managing (medically and surgically) Prostate Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Bladder Cancer and Testicular Cancer. He has two fellowships in Uro-oncology (clinical and research). Dr. Alkasab is a highly trained Surgeon in Robotic Surgery of the Prostate and PLND, completing his training in Princess Margaret Cancer Center, one of most famous Cancer Centers in the whole world of Cancer Institutions and the North American Society of Uro-oncology.