How Psoriasis Develops
Psoriasis is a skin disease that causes red, itchy scaly patches, most commonly on the knees, elbows, trunk and scalp.
Psoriasis is a common, long-term (chronic) disease with no cure. It tends to go through cycles, flaring for a few weeks or months, then subsiding for a while or going into remission. Treatments are available to help you manage symptoms. And you can incorporate lifestyle habits and coping strategies to help you live better with psoriasis.
Psoriasis signs and symptoms can vary from person to person.
Common signs and symptoms include:
• Red patches of skin covered with thick, silvery scales
• Small scaling spots (commonly seen in children)
• Dry, cracked skin that may bleed or itch
• Itching, burning or soreness
• Thickened, pitted or ridged nails
• Swollen and stiff joints
Anyone can develop psoriasis. About a third of instances begin in the pediatric years.
These factors can increase your risk:
• Family history: The condition runs in families. Having one parent with psoriasis
increases your risk of getting the disease, and having two parents with psoriasis
increases your risk even more.
• Stress: Because stress can impact your immune system, high stress levels may increase
your risk of psoriasis.
• Smoking: Smoking tobacco not only increases your risk of psoriasis but also may
increase the severity of the disease. Smoking may also play a role in the initial
development of the disease.
If you have psoriasis, you’re at greater risk of developing other conditions, including:
• Psoriatic arthritis
• Eye conditions
• Type 2 diabetes
• High blood pressure
• Cardiovascular disease
• Other autoimmune diseases
• Mental health conditions
Meet Our Team
Our team of highly qualified and experienced physicians drawn from across the world
- General Dermatology (including diseases of skin, hair and nails) - adults and Pediatric. Common dermatology conditions like acne, psoriasis, infections, vitiligo, and seborrheic dermatitis. Rashes and Allergies (urticaria), eczema. Skin cancer screening diagnosis and treatment. Mole mapping, treatment of moles and benign skin lesions. Biological therapy for various skin conditions like psoriasis, atopic dermatitis. Dermatological Rx like Phototherapy –for psoriasis, eczema, vitiligo, mycosis fungoides. Dermatological surgery for benign (warts, molluscum, moles) or cancerous lesions (BCC, Melanoma). Cosmetic Dermatology (chemical peels, non-ablative& ablative radiofrequency, Derma rollers). Lasers (Hair reduction, Skin Rejuvenation).
- Experience in general and common dermatological disease like Psoriasis, Lichen planus, seborrheic dermatitis (dandruff) and Urticaria, Dermatological manifestations of systemic diseases- liver, kidney and thyroid disorders, Acne treatment, Atopic dermatitis, Pediatric skin disorders, Viral Wart and plantar wart treatment, Hair & nail disorders, Treatment for Hair loss in Men & Women, Managing skin infections and sexually transmitted disease (STD), Ingrown toe nail – Medical & Surgical management, Skin tag & Corn management, Diagnostic skin biopsy and Excision of Skin Lesion & Medical cosmetology.
- Dr. Samer Kudsi is Belgium Board Certified in Dermatology and STD, He has clinical experience in Belgium, South Africa, Saudi Arabia and the last 22 years at Dubai JCI accredited hospitals. Expert in Dermatology, Skin Surgery and Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD)