How Psoriasis Develops
Psoriasis is a skin disease that causes red, itchy scaly patches, most commonly on the knees, elbows, trunk and scalp.
Psoriasis is a common, long-term (chronic) disease with no cure. It tends to go through cycles, flaring for a few weeks or months, then subsiding for a while or going into remission. Treatments are available to help you manage symptoms along with incorporating lifestyle habits and coping strategies to help you live better with psoriasis.
Psoriasis signs and symptoms can vary from person to person.
Common signs and symptoms include:
• Red patches of skin covered with thick, silvery scales
• Small scaling spots (commonly seen in children)
• Dry, cracked skin that may bleed or itch
• Itching, burning or soreness
• Thickened, pitted or ridged nails
• Swollen and stiff joints
Anyone can develop psoriasis. About a third of instances begin in the pediatric years.
These factors can increase your risk:
• Family history: The condition runs in families. Having one parent with psoriasis
increases your risk of getting the disease, and having two parents with psoriasis
increases your risk even more.
• Stress: Because stress can impact your immune system, high stress levels may increase
your risk of psoriasis.
• Smoking: Smoking tobacco not only increases your risk of psoriasis but also may
increase the severity of the disease. Smoking may also play a role in the initial
development of the disease.
If you have psoriasis, you’re at greater risk of developing other conditions, including:
• Psoriatic arthritis
• Eye conditions
• Type 2 diabetes
• High blood pressure
• Cardiovascular disease
• Other autoimmune diseases
• Mental health conditions
Meet Our Team
Our team of highly qualified and experienced physicians drawn from across the world
- Dr. Jobeetha Yoosuf is a well reputed Specialist Dermatologist with over 17 years' experience in her field. She specialises in the diagnoses and treatment of all related Skin Hair and Nail disorders, catering to each patient's individual needs while delivering the latest medical treatments through compassion, respect and medical excellence. Dr. Jubeetha specializes in the treatment of simple and complex medical conditions alike, including but not limitted to Acne, Psoriasis, Vitiligo, Skin Cancer, Skin Infections, Autoimmune Skin Conditions Rosacea, Skin Tumors, Alopecia and more.
- Dr. Rania Elshaikh is a Dermatology Specialist with more than 12 years of experience in a wide range of Dermatological services from General Dermatology to Dermatosurgery and Aesthetic Dermatology. Additionally, she is a member of numerous societies including the Egyptian Medical Syndicate and the Emirates Dermatology Society. Utilizing the latest techniques and procedures, she ensures superior care and excellent results.
- General Dermatology (including diseases of skin, hair and nails) - adults and Pediatric. Common dermatology conditions like acne, psoriasis, infections, vitiligo, and seborrheic dermatitis. Rashes and Allergies (urticaria), eczema. Skin cancer screening diagnosis and treatment. Mole mapping, treatment of moles and benign skin lesions. Biological therapy for various skin conditions like psoriasis, atopic dermatitis. Dermatological Rx like Phototherapy –for psoriasis, eczema, vitiligo, mycosis fungoides. Dermatological surgery for benign (warts, molluscum, moles) or cancerous lesions (BCC, Melanoma). Cosmetic Dermatology (chemical peels, non-ablative& ablative radiofrequency, Derma rollers). Lasers (Hair reduction, Skin Rejuvenation).
- Experience in general and common dermatological disease like Psoriasis, Lichen planus, seborrheic dermatitis (dandruff) and Urticaria, Dermatological manifestations of systemic diseases- liver, kidney and thyroid disorders, Acne treatment, Atopic dermatitis, Pediatric skin disorders, Viral Wart and plantar wart treatment, Hair & nail disorders, Treatment for Hair loss in Men & Women, Managing skin infections and sexually transmitted disease (STD), Ingrown toe nail – Medical & Surgical management, Skin tag & Corn management, Diagnostic skin biopsy and Excision of Skin Lesion & Medical cosmetology.
- Dr. Samer Kudsi is originally from Syria and is a Belgian Board Certified in Dermatology and STD, He has clinical experience in Belgium, South Africa, Saudi Arabia and the last 22 years at Dubai JCI accredited hospitals. Expert in Dermatology, Skin Surgery and Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD) for males and females.