What is Ophtalmology?
At Al Zahra Hospital Dubai our integrated team of experts treat a full spectrum of eye conditions, from eye sight prescriptions to complex chronic conditions and retina surgeries, we ensure your eye health is in safe hands.
Ophtalmology is the brandch of medicine dealing with the health of your eyes or eyessight. An ophthalmologist diagnoses and treats all eye diseases, performs eye surgery and prescribes and fits eyeglasses and contact lenses to correct vision problems.
At Al Zahra Hospital Dubai our integrated team of experts treat a full spectrum of eye conditions, from eye sight prescriptions to complex chronic conditions and retina surgeries, we ensure your eye health is in safe hands. We offer the following services:
- Cornea and corneal crosslinking
- Refractive: ICL implantation or phakic intraocular lens surgery
- Cataract surgeries (Adult and Paediatric)
- Phacoemulsification (Micro-Incision Technique) and Implantation of Toric, Monofocal, Multifocal and Toric Multifocal Lenses, also clear lens extraction
- Glaucoma services: screening and management
- Vitreoretinal services: medical and surgical retina. Angiography, ocular ultrasound, OCT Imaging, Cryopexy, laser photocoagulation, intravitreal injections, simple and complex vitreoretinal surgeries
- Retinopathy of prematurity screening and management
- Diabetic Retinopathy screening and management of its complications
- Strabismus (Squint) services
- Pediatric Ophthalmology consultation
- Strabismus (Squint) services (both Pediatric and Adult ocular motility disorders)
- Refraction: adults, and children with Eyeglass Prescription
- Oculoplastic services: Minor lid surgeries. (Other major surgeries are done by a plastic surgeon)
Meet Our Team
Our team of highly qualified and experienced physicians drawn from across the world
- Dr. Sandip Mitra has more than 20 years of experience and a fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in Edinburgh and London. He specializes in Ophthalmology and performs the following surgeries: LASIK, Macular Degeneration Surgery, Vitrectomy and more. His Medical practice has been associated with various reputed hospitals in the United Arab Emirates, Australia and the U.K. During his career, Dr. Sandip Mitra has performed more than 10,000 refractive procedures, 30,000 cataract surgeries, and 10,000 corneal grafts.
- Dr. Sivakami A Pai is a Vitreo-retinal surgeon with 25 years of experience in Ophthalmology. She is expert in medical, surgical management of Vitreo-retinal diseases, cataract surgeries, ocular trauma, UVEA and ROP. She has been practicing in UAE for last 14 years and worked in reputed government and private hospitals.
- Dr Ahmed Shabana is an experienced Ophthalmologist with more than 17 years of experience in the field of Ophthalmology in different countries around the world. He is one of the most in demand Ophthalmologists in the country, with experience in being Head of the Ophthalmology department in several reputed hospitals around the country.
- Dr. Gurdeep Singh, originally from India, graduated with a Bachelor degree in Medicine with honors. After finishing a three-year ophthalmology residency followed by a fellowship in Pediatric ophthalmology and strabismus at the Aravind Eye Hospital the largest eye care system in the world. After finishing his fellowship he joined as a medical consultant in Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus in Aravind Eye Hospital where he held a teaching post and gained advanced experience in Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus and adult Laser Cataract surgery and Laser Lacrimal surgery.
- Dr. Vishal Shah graduated from India, then went on to earn a Fellowship in Cornea and Anterior Segment - from the L. V. Prasad Eye Institute in Hyderabad, a Fellowship in Cataract Microsurgery (Phacoemulsification and small incision cataract surgery), and a Diplomate of the National Board of Ophthalmology from the Sankara Nethralaya in Chennai. Dr. Vishal has over 15 years of ophthalmology experience in India, Africa, and the UAE.
Fun Day at the Beach Turns to Nightmare for Tourist who Underwent Multiple Surgeries After Being Stung by Jellyfish in Dubai
Dubai, UAE (xx/xx/xxxx): A 55-year-old woman, C.K., from Switzerland visited Dubai during her vacation where she was stung by a jellyfish, leading to severe limb-threatening symptoms and complications. Due to the sting the patient had an extremely swollen arm with major blocked arteries, affecting its function
The Perks of the Relex Smile Procedure for Vision Problems with Dr. Sandip Mitra, Consultant Ophthalmologist
There are numerous laser eye surgeries out there, making it difficult to decide what the best option is. Laser vision correction is a decision that must be taken with high importance, since it has a large impact on one’s life and future. Being freed of your glasses or contacts is an exciting part of the whole process, however there are other steps and considerations that one should acknowledge