What is Orthopedics?
Orthopedics is the brand of medicine that deals with conditions and deformities of the bones joints and muscles or manipulation of the musco-skeletal system.
Orthopedic conditions can be treated surgically or non-surgically with medications, physical therapy, exercise, alternate therapies or by a range of surgical procedures, including some that are minimally invasive and thus less traumatic to the body than traditional open surgery.
The main aim of orthopedic treatment is to restore or preserve your musculoskeletal function while eliminating pain.
Al Zahra Hospital Dubai our Renowned Orthopedic Center holds two Centers of Excellence in ACL Injuries and Rotator Cuff Injuries
From Diagnostics of Surgical and Non-Surgical Treatments and Rehabilitation our Orthopedic Center holds an immense pool of experience, latest technology and world class quality standards
Shoulder & Knee
Our surgeons provide compassionate care to treat Shoulder / Knee Injuries, Shoulder Instabilities, Knee Ligament Disorders and Rotator Cuff Problems to help patients get back to their daily activities treating the whole person.
We treat the full spectrum of Sports-related and Orthopedic conditions including:
- Achilles Tendon Injuries
- Ankle Sprains
- Cartilage Injuries in the Knee (Meniscus Tears and Articular Cartilage Defects)
- Golfer’s Elbow
- Ligament Injuries to the Knee (ACL, PCL, MCL & LCL Injuries)
- Osteoarthritis of the Knee, Shoulder or Foot and Ankle
- Peroneal Tendon Injuries
- Rotator Cuff Tears
- Shoulder Instability
- Shoulder Tendonitis and Bursitis
- Tennis Elbow
- Throwing Injuries of the Shoulder and Elbow
- Torn Ligaments
Foot and Ankle
We offer specialized world class care for foot and ankle problems:
- Ankle arthritis: Our research staff explore new treatments for Ankle Arthritis including Fusions and Joint Replacements
- Innovative Surgery: Our consultant leads the way in modern minimally Invasive Reconstruction Techniques
- A treatment plan tailored to help the patient resume daily activities as quickly and safely as possible. Not everyone requires surgery and non-operative treatments are available for patients. Such options may include injection therapy, medication and/or occupational / hand therapy.
Meet Our Team
Our team of highly qualified and experienced physicians drawn from across the world
- Dr. Narendra Prabhu is a Consultant Orthopedic Surgeon with over 26 years of professional experience in Trauma and Orthopedic Surgeries. He has also served 12 years as an Associate Professor and Consultant Orthopedic Surgeon, at one of India’s top 10 teaching hospitals – Kasturba Medical College. In the UAE, he has worked for JCI Accredited Multi Specialty Hospitals, and has many international publications to his credit. Additionally, Dr. Prabhu has a Fellowship in Spine from Queens Medical Centre NHS Hospital, UK, and is a member of numerous professional associations which include Dubai Orthopedic Club, International Trauma and Anaesthesia Society and Karnataka Orthopaedic Association.
- Dr. Ihab Hussein's career in Orthopedic Surgery started 30 years ago, with accumulating training and practical experience in many local and International Universities and Spine Institutes. He completed his M.D degree in Orthopedics and Spine Surgery from Cairo University Hospital in 2001, Specializing in lumbar disc disease disorders. He then started his teaching career in Cairo University to be one of the university professors in spine surgery. Thereafter he gained his intensive experience in Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery and Disc Replacement Surgery during his training in Switzerland and Germany in 2003 and 2005 respectively.
- Dr Sabyasachi Banerjee is an experienced Orthopaedic surgeon with a vast clinical and teaching experience in India and the Middle-east, of approximately 20 years. He was an Associate Professor and Head of Unit at GCS (Gujarat Cancer Society) Medical College & Research Centre, in Ahmedabad, India and Consultant Orthopaedic & Joint Replacement Surgeon at Columbia Asia Hospital, Ahmedabad, before joining AZHD. He did his Bachelors and Masters in Orthopaedic Surgery from Gujarat University in Ahmedabad. In 2003, he was selected for the prestigious OREF (Orthopaedic Research & Education Foundation) Fellowship at the Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston. In 2007, he underwent a Fellowship in Adult Joint Reconstruction using Computer navigation under Dr Patrice Graf in Brest, France.
- Dr. Bhatia’s areas of special interest include all aspects of surgery of the knee and shoulder. In particular, he specializes in joint replacement surgery including the full flexed/high flex knee replacement for Asian and Middle Eastern patients. He has carried out more than 3000 knee replacements, hip replacements and shoulder replacements.
- Dr. Andreas Appelt is a German-trained Consultant Orthopedic Surgeon. He has more than 30 years of experience in the conservative and operative treatment of orthopedic conditions. He has treated a wide spectrum of spinal and joint cases with minimally invasive procedures and performed arthroscopic operations of the knees and shoulders, and knee and hip replacements. For more than five years, Dr. Appelt worked in University Clinic in Heidelberg, Germany, and then he operated his own Clinic in Neu-Ulm and Weißenhorn.
- Over 10 years of experience in various clinical capacities in hospitals in the UAE and France. Clinical Expertise and Services Offered. Joint replacement surgeries including Hip and Knee. Sport medicine surgeries (Advanced arthroscopic techniques for knee, meniscal repair, ACL reconstruction, PCL reconstruction). Trauma and General orthopedic surgeries.
- Dr. Ahmed Labib is a Consultant Orthopedic Surgeon and Traumatologist with more than 20 years’ experience. He is passionate about minimally invasive techniques especially arthroscopic sports injuries reconstruction, reviewing approximately 6000 patients yearly with more than 200 surgeries performed annually. Through his vast experience in arthroscopic knee and shoulder sports injuries reconstruction and management of all trauma cases as well as joint replacement surgeries for the knee, Dr. Labib is able to provide specialized care and quality service for all his patients.
Fun Day at the Beach Turns to Nightmare for Tourist who Underwent Multiple Surgeries After Being Stung by Jellyfish in Dubai
Dubai, UAE (xx/xx/xxxx): A 55-year-old woman, C.K., from Switzerland visited Dubai during her vacation where she was stung by a jellyfish, leading to severe limb-threatening symptoms and complications. Due to the sting the patient had an extremely swollen arm with major blocked arteries, affecting its function
Understanding the Dangers of Atherosclerosis, A Silent Disease That Could Lead to Unexpected Death with our Expert Consultant Vascular and Endovascular Surgeon, Dr. Mohamed Okelah
Atherosclerosis is a progressive disease affecting the arteries of the body making them less elastic and tighter causing a decrease in blood supply reaching the tissues and organs which could lead to a heart attack, blood clots or a stroke. With approximately a 50 % chance of developing atherosclerosis after the age of 40, it is of high importance to be aware of the disease along with its symptoms, risk factors and more.