What is General Surgery?
General surgery is the arm of medicine that deals with surgical interventions of the:
- Gastrointestinal Tract (esophagus and related organs)
- Abdomen and its contents
- Breast, skin, and soft tissue
- Endocrinology System
A General surgeon is a highly specialized surgeon that does not only operate in the above 4 mentioned fields but also is expected to have in depth knowledge in
- Surgical critical Care
- Surgical Oncology
Common surgeries carried out by General Surgeons include, appendicitis, hernias, gallbladder surgeries, stomach, and intestinal issues.
General surgeons may specialize in a type of surgery, such as treating cancer or burns, that requires the surgeon to be able to perform procedures on multiple areas of the body.
Our General Surgery Services at Al Zahra Hospital Dubai include:
- Abdominal Surgery (including Laparoscopy)
- Breast Surgery
- Proctology Surgery
- Soft tissue Surgery
- Thyroid Surgery
- Varicose Veins Surgery
Fields of expertise:
- One-day Surgery Concept
- Painless Post-op Inguinal Hernia Repair Technique (Shouldice Technique)
- Primary Closure of Pilonidal Sinus Technique
Vascular surgery services:
- Non-Invasive Testing for Vascular Disease (Duplex US, ABI, segmental pressure etc.)
- Angiography – Invasive Imaging Procedure for Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Endovenous Laser Treatment for varicose veins (EVLT)
- Transluminal Occlusion of Perforators Veins for varicose veins and leg ulcers (TRLOP)
- Vein Ligation and Stripping for Varicose Veins
- Miniphlebectomies and foam sclerotherapy for truncal varicose veins + telangiectases
- Sclerotherapy for truncal varicose veins and telangiectases
- Bypass Surgery for Peripheral Arterial Disease (Atherosclerosis)
- Carotid Endarterectomy for Carotid Artery Disease (Surgical Removal of the Plague)
- DVT and anticoagulation management
- Wound care (Diabetic foot, chronic and non-healing wounds)
- AV Fistula Creation and Permanent Catheters Placement for Hemodialysis Access
- Vena Cava Filters placement for Pulmonary Embolism Prevention
- Port Catheters Insertion for Chemotherapy Administration
Meet Our Team
Our team of highly qualified and experienced physicians drawn from across the world
- Dr. Mahmoud Tabbal is a Consultant General, Hepatobiliary & Transplant Surgeon with extensive experience in the field for more than 19 years in USA, Canada, Saudi Arabia and Jordan. Most recently, he worked as the head of Hepatobiliary Surgery at King Fahad Specialist Hospital in Saudi Arabia. Dr. Tabbal is Jordanian board certified in general surgery and has received his advanced sub speciality training in USA and Canada through the American Society of Transplant Surgeons (ASTS) and the American Hepatopancreatobiliary Association (AHPBA). He is an active member in numerous societies, committees and associations including the American College of Surgeons (ACS) and the International HepatoPancreatoBiliary Association (IHPBA)
- Dr. Humaa is a South Africa Board Certified Specialist in General Surgery. Since she moved to the UAE in 2016, she has been working as a Specialist General Surgeon as a part of the Surgical Oncology Services Department at AZHD. Dr. Humaa is a member of Al Zahra Cancer Center’s multidisciplinary tumor board for breast cancer patients. She performs a wide range of breast cancer surgeries which include oncoplastic surgeries, sentinel lymph node biopsies with dual tracer marking, and Localizations for non-palpable breast lesions.
- Dr. Manar Trab is a European and German Board-certified Surgeon, with more than 30 years of experience. He is highly qualified and experienced to conduct all kinds of vascular surgery procedures. He conducts complete vascular clinical examinations and screening programs.
- Dr. Muharrem Oner is a Turkish Board-certified Specialist General Surgeon, with more than 20 years of experience. He started his career in 2008, at International Acibadem Hospital, Turkey, and worked in several reputed hospitals there. Dr. Oner has conducted more than 2500 surgeries independently, including oncology surgeries, serving over 600 patients monthly. He developed a special interest in Endcorine Surgery including Thyroidectomy and Parathyroidectomy. He is an expert in laparoscopic surgery.
- Dr. Cipe is a Professor of Surgery. He is a European and Turkish Board-certified General Surgeon, with more than 20 years of experience. He started his career in 1999, at Sisli Etfal Research and Education Hospital, Istanbul - Turkey, and worked in several reputed hospitals there.
- Dr. Taghreed Almahmeed is an American board-certified surgeon and member of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. In 2016, after a decade of hands-on practice across the United States, she joined the AZHD team as a Consultant General Surgeon and distinguished member of Al Zahra Cancer Center's multidisciplinary tumor board for breast cancer patients. Dr. Taghreed specializes in breast surgery and oncoplastic breast procedures with minimally invasive techniques.
- Dr. Sabah Al Wazer has over 22 years experience, 12 of which he worked at Dubai Health Authority (DHA) in Rashid Hospital and Trauma center in Dubai. He is a professional expert in Laparoscopic Surgeries and management of major surgical trauma.
- Dr. El-Alaili has set up the General Surgery Department in Al Zahra Hospital Dubai. He has been practicing for 32 years in Switzerland, Saudi Arabia, Lebanon and now in Dubai, He is experienced in Abdominal Complex Surgeries (Colorectal and Biliary) as well as in Breast Surgery. In Switzerland he acquired large experience under the guidance of eminent mentors; he was part of the liver and kidney transplant team.
- Dr. Sayad received his medical degrees from St. Joseph University, Beirut. He completed his General Surgery residency training at Staten Island University Hospital in New York, USA, Subsequently, he completed a subspecialty fellowship training in Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery at the same institution under the tutelage of Dr. George Ferzli, a pioneer in this field. Dr. Sayad authored multiple medical publications in peer reviewed journals and he was a speaker in many international surgical meetings.
Alternative weight loss solutions have recently been gaining popularity. They have made the process of excessive weight loss easier and in addition alternative weight loss solutions significantly improve the overall health and quality of life for those struggling with obesity or being overweight. A recent procedure that is now on the rise, is the Elipse Gastric Balloon procedure.