Gastroenterology and Endoscopy
What is Gastroenterology?
Gastroenterology is the branch of medicine dealing with the health of your digestive system and gastrointestinal tract (GUT). Although gastroenterologist are mainly known to treating stomach and gastrointestinal problems, they also treat and diagnose illness involving pharynx, esophagus, stomach, small intestine, large intestine, liver, gallbladder, pancreas, salivary glands, tongue, epiglottis, rectum & anus. This is also known to be your gut.
The Gastrointestinal System is responsible for:
- Digesting and moving food
- Absorbing nutrients
- Removing waste from your body
Recent studies show that there is a very close tie between your gut and your overall immunity as well as your guy and the production of serotonin in your brain.
At Al Zahra Hospital Dubai, our Gastroenterology Department offers the following range of services:
- Abdominal Pain Investigation
- Chronic Diarrhoea
- Coeliac Disease
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
- Hepatobiliary Problems (Jaundice, Choledocholithiasis, Cholangitis,Biliary Tumour)
- Incontinence and Constipation
- Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Liver Cirrhosis with or without Portal Hypertension
- Oesophageal Motility Diseases (Achalasia)
- Pancreatic Diseases (Acute and Chronic Pancreatitis, Pancreatic Tumour)
- Peptic Ulcer Disease
What is Endoscopy?
Endoscopy is the process by which a long, thin tube is inserted into the body to observe an internal organ or tissue in detail, in this case the gastrointestinal tract. It can also be used to carry out other tasks including imaging and minor surgery.
Endoscopes are minimally invasive and can be inserted into the openings of the body such as the mouth (Gastroscopy), or anus (Colonoscopy).
Endoscopies are done under sedation and are usually daycare procedures, which means the patient can go home the same day.
Before an endoscopy takes place your doctor will take you through all the measures you need to take, to get yourself ready for the procedure.
At AZH, our Endoscopy Department offers the following range of services:
- Capsule Endoscopy
- Flexible Sigmoidoscopy
- Rigid Proctoscopy
- Achalasia Pneumodilation
- Dilations of Gastrointestinal Strictures
- Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangio Pancreatography (ERCP)
- Endoscopic Septotomy of Zenker’s Diverticulum
- Oesophageal Varices Banding
- Foreign Body Extraction
- Haemostasis (Injection Sclerotherapy, APC Coagulation, Metal Clipping, Endolooping)
- Haemostasis Variceal Bleeding (Injection, Banding, Glue)
- Liver Biopsy
- Nasojejunal Feeding Tube Placement
- Oesophageal, Duodenal, Colonic Stent Insertion
- Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG) Insertion
- Peritoneal Aspiration
- Polypectomy / Endoscopic Mucosal Resection
For Gastroenterology Packages please click here
Meet Our Team
Our team of highly qualified and experienced physicians drawn from across the world
- Dr. Filippos is responsible for the Special Clinical Gastroenterology as well as Interventional Endoscopy Services. He has published several papers in peer review journals and chapter books and he is invited speaker on various GI topics in local and international scientific meetings on a regular basis. He has full license to practice in Dubai (Dubai Health Authority), UK (General Medical Council) and Greece (Athens Medical Council). He holds the title of Fellow of European Board of Gastroenterology and Hepatology (FEBGH).
- Dr. Gopalan has been practising medicine for over 25 years and Gastroenterology for 20 years. He has significant experience in all areas of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology, and regularly conducts procedures such as Upper GI Endoscopy, Colonoscopy, ERCP, Capsule Endoscopy, PH monitoring, CRE balloon dilatation of strictures, and STRETTA. He has been working in Dubai for the past 10 yrs.
- Worked as a specialist in Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology in Damascus from 2005 to 2008. In 2008 he went Lyon-Sud and Edouard Herriot University Hospital in Lyon, France which is one of the leading Digestive Endoscopy Centers in Europe, where he worked with Pr. Thierry PONCHON. Saint-Eloi University Hospital, Montpellier, France. From 2011 to 2012 where he enhanced his experience in IBD and Liver Transplant.
- Dr Abid Showkat has also huge experience in treatment of Hepatitis, Fatty liver, Cirrhosis of liver, Dyspepsia, motility Gastrointestinal disorders like esophageal achalasia, IBS, colonic inertia as well as common GI problems like Gastroesophageal reflux, chronic diarrhea, abdominal pain, abdominal cancer etc Inflammatory Bowel Disease patients (Crohn’s disease and Ulcerative Colitis), His expertise also includes diagnosis and treatment of coeliac disease.
The expression growing pains is well known, but parents should think of it quite literally when it comes to their children. A child’s body is